More pages in this section
Private Pilot Licence
Private Helicopter Pilot Licence - PPL (H)
Enjoy the thrill and freedom of flying a helicopter while learning the ropes in a supportive environment. Our experienced instructors are here to teach you the skillset you need to fly confidently and safely in any situation or airspace.
Townsville Helicopters is Townsville's first helicopter flight school and have been training pilots since 2010. Our training facility is second to none and our program focuses on training students to the highest industry standard.
A PPL allows you to fly your friends and family around in an helicopter anywhere in Australia.
- Minimum 40 hours flight training
- 1 theory exam covering 7 subjects
- Flight test with in-house flight examiner
- Train full time or part time
Total course costs start at $31,000 with minimum hours flown in an R22 helicopter
Private Licence Theory
To obtain a private helicopter licence, you must pass a 3 1/2 hour theory exam. This exam contains questions from the following subjects:
- Human Factors
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Operations Performance and Planning
- Air Law
There are two main options for you when it comes to studying the theory aspect of your licence:
- Learn in a classroom atmosphere. Free from distractions, our intensive theory course allows students to focus on their studies, covering all 7 subjects in a 3 week block. With the support and expertise of our instructors, this course will see you prepared as possible to tackle the theory exam
- If you are lucky enough to be the kind of person who is self-motivated, then self-study may suit you. We can organise study materials for you to tackle around work and other commitments. Students can also book in for one-on-one tutoring as required.
You will need to obtain the following in order to gain your licence, as required by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). Information on these, and how to complete your applications is available with our course information package.
- Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- Class 2 Aviation Medical Certificate
- Aviation Security ID Card (ASIC)