More pages in this section
Private Pilot Licence
Private Helicopter Pilot Licence - PPL (H)
Enjoy the thrill and freedom of flying a helicopter while learning the ropes in a supportive environment. Our experienced instructors are here to teach you the skillset you need to fly confidently and safely in any situation or airspace.
Townsville Helicopters is Townsville's first helicopter flight school and have been training pilots since 2010. Our training facility is second to none and our program focuses on training students to the highest industry standard.
When studying your PPL(H) full time with us, your theory course will be completed in 3 weeks and students will be encouraged to get in early and fly before their theory starts!
A PPL allows you to fly your friends and family around in an helicopter anywhere in Australia.
- Minimum 40 hours flight training (flying can be done before and after theory)
- 1 theory exam covering 7 subjects
- Flight test with in-house flight examiner
- Train full time or part time
Total course costs start at $32,500 with minimum hours flown in an R22 helicopter
Private Licence Theory
To obtain a private helicopter licence, you must pass a 3 1/2 hour theory exam. This exam contains questions from the following subjects:
- Human Factors
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Operations Performance and Planning
- Air Law
Options / How it works:
- Learn in a classroom atmosphere. Free from distractions, our intensive theory course allows students to focus on their studies, covering all 7 subjects in a 3 week block. With the support and expertise of our instructors, this course will see you prepared as possible to tackle the theory exam
- Flying: Students are encouraged to come into Hangar 85 and fly with us before their theory course commences and then complete after exam is complete or if they prefer, they can finish theory first and complete flying afterwards!
- Perhaps you don't have the ability to take 3 weeks off for full-time theory... Townsville Helicopters sells book packs to students who wish to self-study in their own time and then come in to complete flying hours around their schedule. Please call us if you have a busy roster and you need to discuss a different course structure - (07) 4772 4998
You will need to obtain the following in order to gain your licence, as required by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
- Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- Class 2 Aviation Medical Certificate
- Aviation Security ID Card (ASIC)
Information on these, and how to complete your applications is available with our course information package.