Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence - CPL (H)
A commercial licence (CPL-H) allows you to fly in a helicopter for financial reward (i.e. to work as a helicopter pilot).
A minimum of 105 hours* flight training is required before you take a flight test. A Class 1 medical check certificate and a pass in 7 theory exams are also required.
* (Last 30 hours need to be completed in 3 month period)
Commercial theory consists of seven exams. You must achieve 70% in all exams to pass, Airlaw requires 80%
- Aviation Law
- Planning and Performance
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Human Factors and Limitations
There are two main options for you when it comes to the theory aspect of your licence
- If you are lucky enough to be the kind of person who is self motivated, then self study may suit you.
- Alternatively you may be more suited to learning in a classroom situation. This option will allow you to be able to learn in a classroom type atmosphere. We offer in house theory tuition where you can study in a classroom environment and have all information needed on-site with the support of our experienced instructors for questions and white board briefings to help you understand.
A Class 1 medical certificate is required.
See the CASA website for a DAME (Designated Aviation Medical Examiner) near you.
You will be glad to know that no previous flying experience is needed before you start to learn to fly a helicopter. A sense of adventure and being prepared to put in a little effort is all you require. Previous flying experience, in most cases, will allow for a reduction in the amount of flying hours you will need to complete toward your helicopter pilots licence.
There are a variety of employment options available to a commercial helicopter pilot;
- General Charter (Aerial Work, Photography, Tours, etc)
- Fire Fighting
- Corporate Charter
- Emergency Medical Services
- Agricultural and Mustering
For a more comprehensive training information pack please email us for one to be sent out.
Approximate total cost = $55,000 to $60,000